Saturday, February 6, 2010

Reader's Digest? More like: Writer's Digest.


I plan to master Dreamweaver. Give me 30 days. ...only because the free trial only lasts 30 days.

Looking back on all the classes I took, and all the information I've crammed during finals week, all the papers I've written... I highly doubt I actually have retained most of this information. Which is quite a shame because some of the things I learn are pretty, dare I say, interesting! For instance, I'm taking a communication class: Architecture as Communication. and even though my main reason for signing up for the class was because it reminded me of Ted Mosby (How I Met Your Mother), it's interesting to learn how all these buildings, roads, cities and other human-constructed bits of infrastructure communicate and represent certain motives. Anyway, other than the take home final, we have only one "assignment" in the class. A research-based term paper on any piece of architecture (pretty much anything) explaining how it was made, from what it was made from, why it was made, the influences of its existence, and various other tidbits.

I haven't done my research yet, but I remember a couple of years ago, there was drama about the concert hall because when the sun shined on the building, it would then reflect into the windows of surrounding buildings. Not only did the sunbeams make it way too bright for the unhappy residents, but the slightest sunlight would turn their homes/offices into an oven. The Gehry Partners solved the problem by dulling the shiny stainless steel exterior. There's a cool picture that I'm not going to upload because its like 100002359028350293k big, but in contrast to all the rigid, structured buildings, the Walt Disney Concert Hall looks free and.. pencil shavings-like. Plus, across the street, there's a Starbucks or something that I had gone to, it's the place where I had my first cup of coffee. It was deeeeee.. wait for it.. wait for it.. sssgusting! Disgusting! But maybe now I should return with my new coffee palette. I'm joking.
My favorite nearly annual field trips in high school (for band), was when we'd go over to watch the LA Philharmonic play. (:

Here is the House of World Cultures in Berlin (or Haus der Kulturen der Welt). I haven't looked much into it so.. check it: http://www.hkw.de/en/index.php

I will update my research here and another research I'm doing on poverty and inequality in one of my other classes. (: What better way to spend your bandwidth than reading about my homework assignments? Plus, maybe this will help me actually digest material?

huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment