Saturday, April 10, 2010

Love, Jeannie

Before I thought it was fine to end an e-mail with a dash followed by my first name. If I want to be fancy and I'm feelin' snazzy, I'd spice it up and add my last name.

It wasn't really until college did I find myself in quite a pickle.
Even in the beginning of the e-mail do I write, Hi Professor so-and-so? Dear Professor so-and-so? But that wasn't that big of a deal. Besides, professors and professionals, when reading my baby-like e-mails have better things to do than analyze how I greeted them. They skip right onto my main point, as they glaze their eyes onto the end of the e-mail.


That last bit I put at the end of most of my e-mails had much thought put into them. One of my philosophy TAs used to write "Cheers" which I thought was pretty cool. Because of his sign-off, I thought he was a foreign student from England or something.
Then a couple of other TAs wrote "cheers"

I've heard things from Best, Regards, Warm Regards, Sincerely (but I've never gotten that one)...etc. How freaking annoying.
During my internship, my supervisor(?) and I made an e-mail thread. I ran out of things to say, and went back to my old style of "-Jeannie"
I think I eventually abandoned a sign-off altogether.

Quasi-instant messaging?

Meh, it doesn't really matter because it probably didn't really matter to him. .....except I don't really know that.

Everything is so virtual now. Maybe I go a little overboard on my haha usage on AIM. But everytime I chuckle, smile or laugh, I throw it in there! Why not? Adds a little character. There are some people I hate texting because they're super bubbly in person but through text, they're all short with me. A response like: "Ok. See you soon."
DOES NOT MAKE ME WANT TO SEE THEM SOON.
....cause it sure seems like they're not excited to "see me soon".

Anyway, I only bring this up because it's quite a pickle I've been stuck in for awhile and I happened to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment